Morning Glory Muffin
- 2 Cups + 1/2 Scant Cup Steve & Andy’s All Purpose Organic & GF Flour Mix
- 3/4 Cup Organic Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs + 1 Egg Yolk @ Room Temperature
- 1 Cup Yogurt, Buttermilk or Milk of Your Choice
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 t Vanilla
- 1 Cup Blueberries (Substitute Any Fruit or Nut)
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly coat the inside cups of a standard 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray… sunflower oil…butter or any vegetable oil you love.
- Add 1/2 cup of the berries, fruit or nuts to your muffin mix & gently stir until evenly distributed.
- Whisk eggs, milk of choice, oil of choice (if using butter, make sure it’s melted), lemon juice & vanilla in a medium bowl until combined and creamy, about 30 seconds. Gently fold egg mixture into dry ingredients just to combine (be careful not to over mix). The mixture will look lumpy and that’s just perfect.
- Allow the dough to hydrate for 20 minutes (which means, cover it with a dish towel — clean, please! — and let it sit).
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Top with remaining 1/2 cup blueberries (fruit or nuts), gently pressing to adhere (you should have 4–5 berries per muffin). Sprinkle with raw sugar or your favorite streusel*.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes in standard oven, 22-25 minute in convection oven. Rotate pan halfway through until a tester, inserted into the center, comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack & let muffins cool in pan 5 minutes. Turn out onto rack & let cool completely.
Variations on a Muffin Mix theme
Use this batter as a base — swap in other fruits & spices.
- Cranberries, Ginger & Orange Zest: 1 tsp ginger & 1 tablespoon orange zest to the dry mix and rub with fingertips till fully incorporate
- Toasted kale, chocolate shards & cranberries for savory + sweet
- Go nuts, go bananas: 1 banana with chopped walnuts, ½ t cinnamon, ¼ t nutmeg, ¼ t cloves *Note: For banana muffins, omit the egg yolk
- Figs & Chocolate: Chop 1 cup dry figs and ½ cup dark chocolate cut in shards then fold gently into batter
FYI*: Create an S&A’s Haute Muffin. Chop Steve & Andy’s Organic Candied Orange or Candied Lemon Peels (or both!) & add them to any of the above.
- 1/2 Cup Steve & Andy’s Organic Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 Cup almond meal / pistachio oatmeal or granola – take your pick!
- 4 oz (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl & whisk to combine.
- Add cold butter & using your finger tips toss to coat the mixture, breaking the butter into small pieces. Do not over work the mixture or allow the butter to become soft…if it does, refrigerate mixture before continuing. Transfer streusel into a zipper locking bag & freeze (for up to 1 month).
- Always make sure the streusel is cold when you sprinkle it on the muffins.
- You can substitute almond meal for any nuts (finely chopped), granola (crushed). Add spices to fit your taste, mood, outfit, hat….
Do try this at home:
- Smear your favorite marmalade or jelly on top of hot out-of-the-oven Mm-mmm-great Muffins!
- Sprinkle S&A’s candied lemon or orange peels on top of baked muffins. Let the candies or preserves melt right into the hot & healthy just-baked goodness.